The Sumners Foundation is one of the largest private educational funds in the state. Students who qualify may receive tuition assistance at one of the participating institutions. Download the Sumners Grant brochure
Who Can Apply
- Students from Choctaw County who have met college entrance requirements
- Students who maintain a C average or better at a participating institution
For more information and to apply, contact the financial aid office at one of the four participating institutions.
- Holmes Community College, (662) 472-9027
- Millsaps College, (601) 974-1220 or 1-(800)-352-1050
- Mississippi State University, (662) 325-2450 or (662) 325-3990
- University of Mississippi, 1-(800)-891-4596
How the Award is Made
Each year, the trust is divided among the four institutions. The amount each student is awarded depends on the income of the trust and the number of students qualifying at each institution.
In 1977, Mrs. E. H. Sumners leased 20,000 acres of timberland to Weyerhaeuser Company. The timber profit from her land was used to establish the Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Sumners Trust in memory of her late husband. The trust funds scholarships for students living in the counties where the Sumners’ timber business was centered.